One of the main goals of the Korea-Russia research cooperation is to establish establishment an industrial support center where cutting-edge research collaboration shall be facilitated.
Some stakeholders, organizations, institute involve in this research cooperation include the Korea Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, (MEST), Pacific Oceanological Institute (POI), Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (FEB RAS), National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) and the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, GIST, Korea.
The research collaboration is expected to last for six years spanning between July 2009 and June 2015. Research grant worth 5.4 billion Korean Won (4.75 million USD) and equipments worth 4.2 billion Korean Won (3.7 million USD).
The affairs of the MT-IT collaboration center are directed by the Chief Executive, Prof. Kiseon Kim who is a leading professor at the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology - the leading agency of the center. Below is a snapshot of the history of the MT-IT collaboration:
History & Activities
- ‘08.09 Korea-Russia Moskva Summit Conference (Commitment for joint development of the far east, Siberia)
- Securing the joint development base as a follow-up measures of [MT-IT International Joint Cooperative Research for the far east Russia joint development]
- ‘09.03 MOU between GIST-Russia Institute of Oceanology (POI) and
South Jeolla Province.
- Laboratory Organization and Attraction
- ‘09.03 MT-IT workshop supervised by ISTC
- POI, FERHRI, IMTP, SIO, AAI, KORDI etc. An array of Russian and Korean Ocean-related Research centers participated.
- ‘09.03 GIST-POI MOU Conclusion
- Joint research area and detailed managerial regulations.
- ‘09.07 Selected for support of `09 Business Attraction of Foreign outstanding Research centers.
- ‘09.11 Business agreement for buildup of Ocean Experimental Center.(Jangheung-gun, Jeollanam-do)
- ‘10.04 Opening of Korea-Russia MT-IT Fusion Technology Research Center (Sangseong-gun, Jeollanam-do)
- ‘10.09 Opening of Korea-Russia Ocean Advanced Experimental Research Center. (Jangheung-gun, Jeollanam-do)
- ‘10.09 Entry into port of Russian Experiment ship for International Joint Research and Performance of joint experiment
- ‘12.05 Opening of Russia POI research center (Vladivostok).